Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Nerd Patrol

I was taking my customary 2 a.m. walk down Spruce Street tonight. It was quiet, not the sound of a car, nor the rustle of the trees, nor a human voice carried by the wind could be heard. Suddenly, I made out a very faint, but high pitched squeek coming from behind me. The sound slowly but steadily got louder. The thing was approaching me from behind, I could not see what it was. The Doppler effect was causing the pitch to go lower and lower, yet louder and louder. Suddenly, I was overtaken by it, and saw it run past me. I turned my head to look.

It was this HUMUNGOUS NERD with glasses, riding a bicycle. He had this giant, goofy looking helmet on, his bike had a little basket in front, and a mirror for the rear view. I didn't really think to myself, "OMG! NERD!" until he passed me by, and I saw clipped on his back pocket the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It was a flashing red, battery powered blinking light - you know, for safety. I snickered to myself all the way home. What a nerd. Nerd Patrol.

I just finished watching Shakespeare In Love. I understood most of the literary and historical references, which was good. There weren't that many. Having already read Romeo and Juliet and Twelfth Night, I was well read enough. Overall, though, it was a fairly Hollywood type movie, which I was expecting of course. I have a hard time being affected by Hollywood movies though. The cinematography was pretty unnotable. The acting was serviceable. I guess in general, my reaction would have to be, "It was OK. I didn't hate it." Which is not bad.

Shakespeare, believe it or not, was pretty good at writing though.

No comments: