Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Transcendent Beauty of Rocking Out

I like the oldie pop sound of the Beatles. I like the sweeping, introspective sonicscape of Radiohead. I like the folky whimsy of Bob Dylan. I like the nervous, paranoid distortion of the Walkmen. I like the smoky, jazzy voice of Norah Jones (I'd have sex with that voice if such a thing were possible).

But today, I rediscovered something I had forgotten about since, mmm, 8th grade: ROCKING OUT. I listened to Tyrannosaurus Hives by the Hives today, and it was an intense half-hour of songs that all rocked my face. The first track comes in with the momentum of a fifty bullet firestorm, and never lets up, the drums and the bassline and the guitar and the vocals all coming together in an electrifying, energetic, dynamic, and fun powerhouse, with songs clocking in at a breakneck two-minute clip. This music makes you want to jump up and down, headbang, tap your feet, DO SOMETHING. It moves you in a more literal way than the first artists I mentioned above. But it moves you. I highly recommend.

No comments: