Monday, May 31, 2004

Revival

Finally jammed on the guitar today again for the first time in over a month. Finally can call it "jammming" since Eric and I played a couple two-guitar songs, and they worked. Not gonna say what they were, since I'm not that proud of my indefensibly gratuitous interest with Pop-Punk Alternative Rock. If I were to ever start a band, I'd want it to be more along the lines of Alternative Indie Funk-Rock-Blues Pop. Maybe a little occasional Punk or Hard Rock. But no Grunge. Oh God, never Grunge. Go away, please, Mr. Grunge, and Mr. Post-Grunge.

Back to reality though, I watched School of Rock today and I loved it. Yes, that's right. I loved a stupid Jack Black movie. Why? Because of the rock, man! It inspired me to learn as much as I could about the history of rock. Because rock is awesome. So I spent the rest of the day reading all about rock from http://www.allmusic.com, which is a great site that tells you everything you need to know about artists and genres and shit. They seriously have a bio of almost every artist that I have in my 17+ gigs of music. So I re-categorized all my music, and learned the differences between Alternative Rock and Indie Rock, Ska and Third Wave Ska Revival, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. I know Bob Dylan's original name was Robert Allen Zimmerman, and that the phenomenon known as Britpop was begun in the 90's by a band called Blur. The Ramones were the first ever Punk band, and Guns N' Roses brought Hard Rock back to its roots in the 80's when rock was beginning to consume itself with glamour and excess. Oh, and The Ataris are not Punk. They are Punk-Pop.

I also sort of figured out the major parts of rap too, how the Beastie Boys belong in Hip-Hop, Kid Rock is Rap-Metal, DMX is Hardcore Rap, 2Pac is Gangsta Rap, Chingy is Dirty South, and Dr. Dre pioneered his own sound called G-Funk.

I divied up my jazz collection too into Swing, Big Band, Dixieland, Bebop, Post-Bop, and Fusion. It's not all just "jazz" now.

The only stuff I haven't really figured out is my electronica collection, since I don't really give a shit about the differences between Techno and House, although apparently, the former was pioneered in Detroit, and the latter was pioneered in New York/Chicago.

And all of that is off the top of my head. I learned a lot today.

Screw the math test on Tuesday.

[Edit]: I just differentiated my classical music into Modern, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, and Classical. Maybe I WILL get around to figuring out my electronica, too. Or maybe I will still just continue to hate that genre too much.

No comments: