Sunday, March 28, 2004

The Ladykillers

Tom Hanks probably turns in the quirkiest performance of his career in this one. I was convinced the whole time. Not once did I think of Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, or (shudder) Cast Away. while watching him play a nervous, poetry-reciting Classicist. Of more note to me, however, was the cinematography. I enjoyed this movie's cinematographic style very much. It actually reminded me of the old, iconic-eyed Tim Burton in some parts. The script itself moves along well enough, although some of the banter gets old. Overall, it was quite funny, but perhaps I was only laughing because the packed theater howled at every scene change. I'm not sure if I would have laughed as much if I had just been watching it by myself in my room. Marlon Wayans regresses unfortunately from his powerful performance in Requiem for a Dream.

No comments: