Sunday, March 28, 2004

Anna Karenina, etc.

I find myself relating to both Stepan Oblonsky and Konstantin Levin. They are polar opposites. I am afraid I seem manic-depressive to the objective observer.

Amnesty International took up more time than it was supposed to today. Consequently, I nearly stayed up in High Rise North's Rooftop Lounge until the sunrise while reading Anna Karenina. It's a good book. The characters are all fascinating, even if most of them are snooty high-society types. It's just going to take way too much time to read. And I am simply required to read too much of it too soon. I need to average about sixty pages per day to finish in time. Lunacy.

I haven't had black coffee at night in a long time, and yet I continue to stay up so late. I am destined to develop peptic ulcers and die early... unless I increase my dosage of chewing gum, coffee, and Slim Jims! Ah, yes, those things will keep me alive! They will carry me to 100 years of age! And beyond!

It's hard to have a sense of humor when you know that everyone you know in the entire world is asleep.

No comments: