Thursday, July 28, 2005

Taking Criticism

Taking criticism is hard. But it's part of becoming a better writer, and I welcome it. However, what makes taking criticism especially difficult is when two critics disagree and tell you different things. For example, one group member has told me that he/she felt that the John character was likable. Another felt that John isn't likeable and needs to be made more interesting. One person felt that the tone was too funny/satirical and the other felt that it was a good, solid tone. Who do I trust to be "right?" in cases of direct contradiction? Am I allowed to just say that some people "got" the movie while other people "missed" it? Because in these cases, it's impossible to take all criticism as God's truth. Someone has to be wrong. I have to choose to trust somebody. And that's the hardest part of taking criticism.

No comments: