Saturday, July 03, 2004

Golf, The World According To Garp, and Fahrenheit 9/11

Today, I played my second preppy white-boy sport of the summer. The first one was tennis with Eric. And today, for the first time ever in my life, I played... golf! Well, not really. Actually I just went with my dad to the Twin Creeks driving range in Allen and laid some 7 iron into the plastic (and grass, when I messed up). I felt very preppy in my white polo shirt and Polo Sport shoes. This must be what it's like to be retired. I'm enjoying retirement before I've even started a career. That can not be good for my future work ethic. This also will not bode well for my upcoming mid-life crisis. I will probably start to have my mid-life crisis around 30 and won't stop crisis-ing until I'm 60. I really don't like... doing things. Can a career be made out of illegally downloading and listening to music, watching movies, reading books, and writing in a blog? If so, I'd be a pro by now.

I finished reading a book last night that I started on my last day in Philadelphia before flying here, meaning I read this book in exactly one week. This achievement was due in large part to the goodness of the book, and in much less part to my own scholarly skillz, kind of reminiscent of that time I read an entire book in one evening (Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes). This time it was The World According To Garp by John Irving, a gift from Frank. I guess the book had a lot to it, but to me, the most important and most riveting thing about it was that it was about writing. It was about T. S. Garp, the novelist, trying to write, and struggling to write. I wish I could finish novels. I wish I had vision, but my writing tends to wander about aimlessly. I need vision, and unification, and, well, I probably need a damn good story, too. Imagination... that's what Garp had. That's what I need. But everything I write just seems to always end up being autobiographical in at least some tangential way... Perhaps it's the effect of writing about myself in blogs all the time for the last couple years. I need to get away from that habit. I must know more than just what I live...

Oh, and golf, incidentally, is not my game. As for mini-golf, however, I OWN. So don't mess.

[EDIT]

Everyone must go watch Fahrenheit 9/11 immediately. It is guaranteed to make you angry. Whether you get angry at Michael Moore or at George W. Bush probably depends a lot on your own personal political leanings, but it will definitely make you angry either way. Which is good. That's what movies should do. And that is my review. Fahrenheit 9/11 does what it should do. So go. Now!

1 comment:

hyphen said...

On Fahrenheit 9/11: I think you should read the analysis of Moore's movie by the nonpartisan group, SpinSanity. Also, the liberal writer Christoper Hitchens rips Moore apart in his column, "Unfahrenheit 9/11".

Fahrenheit 9/11 is emphatically not a "documentary", which must be objective. It is much better described as propaganda. Michael Moore and his intellectually bankrupt movies are the embodiment of much of what is wrong with American politics.

Plus, by seeing "Fahrenheit 9/11", you missed a good opportunity to see "Spiderman 2", which was freaking awesome.