Monday, August 01, 2005

Wow

Wow. My screenplay went up in front of the class tonight (the last one of the night). I honestly did not know what to expect, so I decided to expect the worst. I was afraid people wouldn't be able to follow it. People wouldn't like John. People wouldn't understand the daydreams. The dialogue would not be believable. The John-Charlene dynamic would not work. The ending would suck. People would think there are too many characters that only have one line.

But I was very surprised by how much people seemed to like it. The cynical part of me still has all these doubts about the screenplay, and assumes that everyone was just being nice. But objectively, the reaction was definitely very positive. Lapadula even said it was a strong script with good descriptions and dialogue, only the premise is a little unoriginal. So I'm quite surprised and pleased with how my reading went.

Of course, I do still have my doubts. Particularly with my ending. But the deadline fast approaches, and I've been thinking about what to do with the ending for so long now, I really doubt this case of writer's block will break through in the next day. I wish I could come up with something, but I just can't. Everything else I've thought of sets a bad pall over the tone of the movie. And I don't want a freaky-weirdo movie, I want something ultimately optimistic. It's very possible that I won't be able to change much of anything in the next day or so. The script may just have to be turned in as it is, more or less.

No comments: