Wednesday, March 01, 2006

the roar

the roar came through your throat
like a whimper through a megaphone
and i could feel the rumble of voices
whispering, murmuring in my stomach
everything went black inside the whites
of my eyes until i blinked
gone
i tried to speak to you
but someone else's voice came out
did you notice?
my eyes closed over your face
and my body faded into the warm air
we had to hurry in the darkness
or risk being seen by ourselves
but nothing was in my control
my hands were in my ears
fingers tied together
everything happened off to the side
as i watched, helpless
as you laughed
but a song came through your throat
like water rippling down a river
and my eyes finally opened
i saw you for the first time
looking at me
and you looked just like me
a smile like a sunflower
eyes like tadpoles
there was nothing
to be afraid of
afterall --
except...

silence

No comments: