Monday, October 17, 2005

Crash

I just watched the movie Crash (Haggis, not Cronenberg), and it was a very amazing, well-done film. There are a lot of things to mention that are wonderful about it, from the acting to the editing, but since I'm an aspiring screenwriter, I'll focus only on the script. The one thing about it that I can't get over is how everything that happens and every line that is spoken rings true. There wasn't a bad or cheesy moment or anything that felt false, fabricated, or out of place. That is truly a difficult thing to do, to create something like that that captures and reflects life -- from scratch. Everytime I sit down to write something, the only things that seem to fly through my mind are other movies and other things I've already seen before, and unfortunately, if I write those things in, little by little, it builds itself up into giant cliche eventually. And when I say this movie feels real or true or a reflection of real life, I don't mean to call it gritty. Because these days, even gritty is cliched. Originality, creativity... so elusive. Right now, I can only aspire.

"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

2 comments:

Ben said...

Easy solution: Outsource your creativity to a small village in western china to a small boy who has never seen a film before! For just 2 pounds of rice, you have yourself a completely original, non-cliche script! Or you can do what I have always done, just start writing with no plan in mind and see where your own story takes you . . .

The Marginal Man said...

Yay! My most favorite movie of the year! Well.. next to March of the Penguins, but I liked that for different reasons. Unlike March of the Penguins, Crash is not that black and white (AHaHaHA.. I crack myself up).
I see Oscars in the future!